Macaroni and "cheese"
Macaroni and cheese can still be on the menu even when you're gluten-free and dairy-free? Wow.
You will need:
- 1 C water,
- 2 Tbs lemon juice,
- 1 sweet red bell pepper,
- 1/2 C raw cashews,
- 1 tsp onion powder,
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast,
- 2 tsp sea salt,
- dash red pepper flakes (optional).
- 1 C boiling water,
- 1/2 C clear jel (modified corn starch)
- 8 oz gluten free elbow macaroni
1. Assemble ingredients for "cheese" sauce
2. Cut up red bell pepper and remove seeds.
3. Place 1 C water, lemon juice, red bell pepper, cashews, onion powder, nutritional yeast, and sea salt in Vita Mix or Blend Tec blender. (Sorry a regular blender won't work for this)
4. Puree for about 5 minutes until you see heavy steam.
5. Add 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 C clear jel. (clear jel is a corn based thickening agent, if you can't find clear jel, you could try corn starch)
6. Puree until thickened
7. Prepare macaroni according to directions on package (do not overcook!). Drain macaroni and add 1/2 C (or more or less to taste) Cheese sauce.