I have a confession. Oatmeal is not my favorite. My husband calls it "canvas" meaning that just like a blank canvas requires paint in order to become interesting, oatmeal requires lots of "help" to make it good. Before the diet began, if I served oatmeal it would be accompanied with a smorgasbord of toppings: brown sugar, raisins, honey, nuts, and my husband's favorites: shredded coconut, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Most of those toppings are now in the "no" pile so we had to re-think oatmeal a little bit and found that adding an egg, coconut milk, and cinnamon makes it creamy and pretty good. I still like to add almond milk and a little honey on top.
For 2 servings you will need:
- 1 C quick oats, (regular oats will work too, it just takes a little longer to cook)
- 1 beaten egg,
- 1/8 tsp sea salt,
- 1 C coconut milk,
- 1 C water,
- 1 tsp cinnamon.
1. Assemble ingredients
2. Beat the egg with a fork
3. Add 1 C coconut milk and 1 C water.
4. Mix oats, coconut milk mixture, salt and cinnamon in a saucepan.
5. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and creamy.
6. Place in serving bowls and add almond or coconut milk, raisins, and/or honey as desired.