It seems a little silly to include instructions on how to make popcorn, but I am surprised at how many people don't know how to do this. It's so easy.
You will need:
1. Popcorn popped in an air popper is fast and easy. It doesn't take any more time than a bag of microwave popcorn, but is cheaper, healthier, and tastes better too. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
2. If you don't have an air popper, you can use a lunch bag and a microwave. Place 2 Tbs. un-popped popcorn in a lunch bag. fold down about 1/2 at the top and make a crease. Fold down again. Microwave for 1 minute on high. Microwaves vary.
3. Now for the tricky part that's really not that tricky. It you put all the butter in one place, you get 3 super buttery kernels and a whole lot of dry ones. It doesn't take a lot of butter to get delicious buttery taste if you do it right. (Please see post on "Can I Still Have Butter?" to see why butter is usually okay with a dairy free diet)
Use about 1 Tbs butter per 1/2 cup popcorn (that's un-popped, meaning whatever you measured before you put it in the air popper [or lunch bag]) Put butter in a microwave-safe cup and microwave until bubbly and melted. Pour 1 tsp butter in a thin stream over popcorn in a circular pattern. Sprinkle a light sprinkling of salt over popcorn.
4. Stir popcorn.
5. Pour another teaspoon of melted butter over popcorn, salt lightly, and stir again.
6. Repeat until melted butter is almost gone. At the bottom of the cup you should see some butter solids that have separated from the liquid. Discard these butter solids. They are the only part of butter that has casein or lactose. The melted butter that you used is called clarified butter or "ghee" and is usually okay for people who can't have dairy. Please see the post on butter for more information.