The last time I went to Olive Garden restaurant and ordered their delicious version of zuppa toscana soup, I was surprised that I like my homemade version better. And mine is gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free. Score.
You will need:
- 1 lb ground sausage,
- 1 C diced onion,
- 2 C diced potatoes,
- 4 slices cooked, crumbled bacon,
- 2 cloves crushed garlic,
- 10 C chicken broth (or 10 C water with 10 tsp Better Than Bouillon chicken base),
- 1- 14 oz can coconut milk,
- 1 small bunch kale (remove center stem and cut into small pieces),
- red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Assemble ingredients
2. Scrub potatoes and dice (peeling optional). Dice onions.
3. Pour broth into a large stock pot, add potatoes and one clove crushed garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile brown sausage, drain fat.
5. Cook and crumble bacon.
6. Saute onion and crushed garlic until onions are soft.
7. Remove the center stem of kale and cut into small pieces.
8. When potatoes are soft (about 30 minutes) add sausage, bacon, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, red pepper flakes to taste, kale, and 1 can coconut milk.
9. Heat through and serve.